Nanjing’s Basic Information
- Jinling, Jiankang
- Subtropical Monsoon Climate
- City Flower:
- Snow Pine (雪松); Plum Blossom (梅花)
- Geographical Location:
- Located in the heartland of Yangtze River’s catchment area at Northwest part of Jiangsu Province between Jiangsu and Anhui Province. 300km west of Shanghai. 31.14 - 32.37° N, 118.22 – 119.14° E. Borders Zhenjing (east), Ma Anshan of Anhui Province & Wuhu (west), Xuancheng (south) and Yangzhou (north). One of the largest economic zones in Yangtze River Delta and Huadong region. One of the four major capitals of China. Landmark of national historical culture. Important birthplace of Chinese civilization. Center of science and education of China.
- 8.2359 million (as at end of 2016)
- Approximately 6,597 km²
- Mandarin, Nankinese
- Time Zone:
- China Standard (UTC +8)
- The Ancient Capital of Six Dynasties,
The Metropolis of Ten Dynasties
- 211AD Jianye, capital of Eastern Wu
317 Jiankang, capital of Eastern Jin
420-589 Jiankang, capital of Southern Dynasties
1386 Yingtianfu, capital of Ming Dynasty
1853 Tianjing, after the fall of the Taiping Revolution
1912 Nanjing, capital of China by Sun Yat-Sen
1927 Nanjing, capital of Republic of China by Chiang Kai-Shek.
|Spring (Mar, Apr, May)||Average temperature: 6°C – 14°C||Warm and comfortable but temperature may be very different between day and night, may need extra clothing.|
|Summer (Jun, Jul, Aug)||Average temperature: 21°C – 29°C||Monsoon season between June and July, weather may be hot and humid, please prepare rain gear.|
|Autumn (Sep, Oct, Nov)||Average temperature: 19°C – 27°C||Dry and windy, temperature remain low especially in late autumn, please prepare extra coat.|
|Winter (Dec, Jan, Feb)||Average temperature: 2°C -11°C||Wet and cold, raining season in winter, please put on gloves, cotton hat & coat to stay warm|
Immigration clearance – 144 hours visa free transit51 International passports (from the United States, Germany, Italy, Australia, Singapore etc.), with air ticket (with fixed date) within 144 hours and approved visa to the next destination require no China visa to landing on, entering and staying in Jiangsu province administrative region for 144 hours via Nanjing Lukou International Airport.
Coins: 1 Jiao(角), 5 Jiao, 1 Yuan(元)
Banknotes：1 Yuan(元), 5 Yuan, 10 Yuan, 20 Yuan, 50 Yuan, 100 Yuan
Currency Exchange Rate
1 RMB ≈ RM 0.63 (Rates may vary according to market floating rate)
- Banks. All major banks in Nanjing city provide foreign currency exchange, please bring along your international passport and foreign currency to the bank for the service. Rates may vary due to the floating exchange rate, please check the latest rates online. Most banks open from Monday to Friday only.
- Airport. There are 2 Currency Exchange Service Counters available at Lukou International Airport. One in the International Departure Hall and another in the International Arrival Hall. Processing fee may apply.
|Mineral Water 550ml||3 Yuan||Beer||4 – 12 Yuan|
|Starbucks’ Latte (Venti)||27 Yuan||Carbonated Drinks||4 Yuan|
|Duck Blood Soup with Vermicelli||15 Yuan||McDonald’ Double Cheese |
Telecommunication & InternetAll major shops, hotels, cafés and other public places are mostly equipped with WIFI service, please connect to WIFI via phone setting.
VoltageChina uses 220 volts power supply for standard domestic and business purposes. Due to different power outlet standards, you may need to bring your own electric adapters.
- Police Department:
- Fire Department:
- Traffic Accidents:
Nanjing Festivals & Customs
The Laba Festival (腊八节- the 8th day of the twelfth lunar month)The Laba Festival in Nanjing contains the meaning of making wishes. The people of Nanjing make porridge with glutinous rice, barley, red bean, lotus, and red dates called the Laba Porridge that symbolizes good luck, prosperity and great health. On this day, most of the temples in Nanjing will provide free porridge to the public as a blessing of wisdom and relief of misfortune.
New Year’s Eve (除夕-the last night of the twelfth lunar month)The last day of the lunar year is called Da Nian Ye, or Nian San Shi. Every family will put up new couplets and gather around for reunion dinner. New year cake or nian gao, dumplings or jiao zi, and assorted vegetables are some of the essential dishes on the table.
Spring Festival/Chinese New Year (春节—the 1st day of the first lunar month)Chinese New Year is the first day of the lunar year. Everyone visits one another among relatives and friends. Red packet is given to the younger generations symbolizing warm wishes.
Yuanxiao / Lantern Festival (元宵节-the 15th day of the first lunar month)Also known as Shang Yuan Jie(上元节), everyone eats rice glue ball or tang yuan. There will be Jinling Lantern Festival (金陵灯会) around the Confucius Temple with exciting programs showcasing traditional handicrafts such as lotus lantern, rabbit lights, traditional palace lanterns, as well as the integration of modern lightings.
International Plum Blossom Festival ( 南京国际梅花节-late February)Plum Blossom Festival is one of the most happening annual events in Nanjing. This time every year, the plum blossoms on Meihua Mountain in the eastern suburb are in full bloom. Thousands of visitors come here for flower viewing and sightseeing. It is a spectacular view with the hillside of Zhongshan filled with people and flowers.
Qingming Festival (清明节-4th of April)Qingming is the 5th solar term of the 24 divisions of the lunar year. It falls after the spring equinox. Everyone would pay visit to the ancestors’ grave, spend the day in the country, and make Qingtuan (青团) or Qingming Guo – a traditional Qingming festival food.
Dragon Boat Festival (端午节-the 5th day of the 5th lunar month)Dragon boat festival is the day to remember the great Chinese poet – Quyuan(屈原). There will be dragon boat race in Nanjing and it is common to eat traditional food such as zongzi(粽子-rice dumpling wrapped in bamboo leaf) and mung bean cake.
Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节-the 15th day of the eighth lunar month)Mid-autumn festival is known as “Bayue Jie” (八月节) to the people of Nanjing. Everyone gathers around for reunion dinner and sharing joy drinking. It is a common practice to enjoy mooncake and glorious full moon together after the joyful dinner.
Nanjing Lukou International Airport 南京禄口国际机场
Website：www.njiairport.comThe airport is a 2-storey island platform station, with 2-runways facing east and west, waiting hall on Level 1 and platform on Level 2. There are 2 terminals namely T1 (currently closed for renovation) and T2. The airport is 35.8 km from Nanjing city center with shuttle services. Presently there are direct return flights between Nanjing and Singapore, as well as Malaysia and other countries.
Direct Flights Information
KLIA (KUL) – NKG
Every Tue, Thu, Sun
CHANGI (SIN) - NKG
Tips:Flight information may be different due to unforeseen circumstances. Weekly flight frequency may vary. For more information, please contact airlines company.
Transportation Guide: Airport – City center
1. Subway (Nanjing Metro)Route map is available at the arrival hall. 50m walking distance to subway platform. Board Line S1.
2. TaxiAvailable at Gate 4 of waiting hall at Level 1.
Lukou International Airport Taxi Information
|Destination||Distance (km)||Fare (Yuan)|
|Confucius Temple (夫子庙)||41||120-145|
|Nanjing Railway Station (南京火车站)||47||150-180|
|Gulou Plaza (鼓楼广场)||44||138-166|
|Presidential building (总统府)||41.3||140-170|
|Nanjing South Railway Station (南京南站)||33||100-120|
3. Airport ShuttleSituated outside Waiting Hall Level 1.
Lukou International Airport Shuttle Bus Information
Airport – City
Airport Line 1 (East City Line)
From first flight touchdown to the last fight takeoff
Lukou Airport – Nanjing Airport Hotel – Nanjing Railway Station Square East
Airport Line 2 (West City Line)
From first flight touchdown to 11pm
Lukou Airport – Nanjing South Railway Station – Hexi Wanda Plaza
09:00; 10:30; 12:30; 14:30;
Nanjing Lukou International Airport – No26 Dachanggetang Songyang Road (大厂葛塘松杨路26号)
City – Airport
Airport Line 1 (East City Line)
05:00 - 21:00
Nanjing Railway Station Square - Nanjing Airport Hotel – Lukou Airport
Airport Line 2 (West City Line)
05:00 - 21:00
Hexi Wanda Plaza – Nanjing South Railway Station – Lukou Airport
04:40; 06:30; 09:00; 11:30; 11:30; 13:30; 15:30; 17:30; 19:30
No 26 Dachanggetang Songyang Road – Nanjing Lukou International Airport
Nanjing Lukou International Airport Service Hotline：86−25-968890
Nanjing has 2 main train stations in the city. There are high speed trains and non-bullet trains between Nanjing and Beijing, as well as Nanjing and Shanghai. The fastest single trip to Shanghai takes only less than 2 hours, and Beijing not more than 5 hours. Instead of flying direct to Nanjing from Shanghai or Beijing, it is also a good choice to travel in train.
①Nanjing StationTake Subway Line 1/Line 3, disembark from “Nanjing Station”.
Address: No 111, Xuanwu District Longpan Lu (玄武区龙蟠路)
②Nanjing South StationTake Subway Line 1/Line S1/Line 3, disembark from “Nanjing South Station”.
Address: Yulan Lu Nanjing South Station (雨花台区玉兰路)
1. Single Trip Ticket —Recyclable
Single Trip Ticket is available at automatic ticketing machine or from temporary ticketing/information counter. Each ticket is limited to same day, one person, single use within limited time frame.
Tips: All Rechargeable card is also valid for public bus, subway and taxi. Both ordinary and profiled rechargeable card are available at selected subway stations and top up services are available at Suguo Supermarkets, selected subway stations and automatic reload machines.
① Normal taxi: 9 Yuan for first 3km + fuel surcharge 2 Yuan. 2.4 Yuan per km beyond 3km.
② London taxi: 9 Yuan for first 2km + fuel surcharge 2 Yuan. 2.9 Yuan per km beyond 2km.
③ Camry, Teana mid-range taxi: 9 Yuan for first 2.5km + fuel surcharge 2 Yuan. 2.9 Yuan per km beyond 2.5km.
④ BYD electric taxi: 9 Yuan for first 2.5km, no fuel surcharge. 2.9 Yuan per km beyond 2.5km. Tips: Night fare (between 11pm – 6am) is slightly higher than normal fare (between 6am – 11pm)
Nanjing Taxi Meter:
Tram Hexi Tram (Line 1), total distant 7.76km, total 13 stations, highest speed is 80km/h, fixed fare at 2 Yuan, interval between trains is approximately 10 minutes.
This line was opened since 2014 Youth Olympics. Its main purpose is for sightseeing where it routes pass Nanjing Green Olympic Sports Park, Eye of Nanjing, fish mouth wetland park and other new attractions along the Yangtze River.
Tips: Interchange to subway Line 2/Line 10 is available at Yuantong Station; interchange to subway Line 2 is available at “Olympic Stadium East Station”.
144 Hours Transit VisaFrom 31st Jan 2016, foreign travelers come from 51 countries who transit (destined for a third country or region - HK, Macau, Taiwan with booked a through air ticket) in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang within 144 hours (6 days) are exempted from visas for China. During the visa exemption period, the passenger is allowed to move around within Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang.
Question 1: Which country passport holder can apply 144 hours transit visa?
Answer: Travelers from these 51 countries can apply for the 144-hour transit visa exemption:
- 24 Schengen countries in Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherland, Poland, Portugal, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
- 13 other European countries: Russia, Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia and Albania.
- 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
- 2 Oceania countries: Australia and New Zealand.
- 6 Asian countries: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
Question 2: 144 hours visa-free transit is available at which international port?
Answer: Travelers will be granted a visa-free stay of up to 144 hours while in transit via following:
- 江苏南京禄口国际机场（NKG） Nanjing Lukou International Airport (NKG)
- 上海浦东机场（PVG） Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG)
- 上海虹桥机场（SHA） Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
- 上海港国际客运中心 Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- 上海吴淞口国际邮轮港 Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
- 上海铁路口岸 Port of Shanghai railway
- 浙江杭州萧山国际机场（HGH） Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport(HGH)
Question 3: How to apply the 144 hrs China Transit visa?
Answer: After getting off the plane, head for immigration. Look for a counter that says "144 hours Transit visa exemption", you need to provide following documents:
- Your valid passport
- Air ticket with confirmed date of flight and seat for a third country (region) traveling within 144 hours.
- Arrival & Departure Card form (completely filled).